CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Exactly one year ago...

Dear Emily Lynn,

At this exact time one year ago, your dad was sitting at the kitchen table with his laptop and blackberry, working hard to finish up his day's work.  I was back in our bathroom, putting some fresh makeup on and curling my hair.  This time around I was determined to not look so dog-gone tired and washed out.  About every 6 minutes I would call out to your dad to "start the timer, " and then 1-2 minutes later he would hear me say, "Okay, it's over.  Stop the timer."  That's right, pretty girl.  I was in labor.  With you.

I knew I had about 3-4 minutes between contractions, and in my mind that was plenty of time to get pretty.  I had done this before and knew that it wouldn't be long before we'd be loading up the car and heading to the hospital; and though I was in a great deal of pain I believed there was no reason to go through it without a fresh coat of mascara and dollop of pink lipgloss.  After all, like it or not, everyone ends up seeing those precious moments-after-birth photos, so I may as well look my best!  I wasn't nervous this time like I was when I was in labor with your big brother, Jude.  I was relishing it all, having the hindsight of a second-time mama who understands that the pain will quickly pass and in no time at all I'd be looking into your beautiful eyes and kissing your darling cheeks. 

At this time exactly one year ago, I had just gotten off the phone with Rebecca's mom, Sharla.  Having gone through our entire pregnancies together, I was excited to let her know that I was pretty sure this was "it."  And yet I was also a little hesitant because I knew that she'd go crazy if she wasn't in labor herself and heard that I was.  Luckily when I called she was pretty sure she was also in labor, and little did I know that she and Rebecca's dad would make it to the hospital even before we did!  I also texted Presley's mom, Ashley, who was already several days overdue with Presley, to let her know the good news.  I still can't believe that you, Rebecca and Presley were all born within a few hours of each other!

Yes, this night exactly one year ago seems like so long ago.  Yet it only seems like yesterday that I was holding you for the first time.  This has been a remarkable year for me as your mother, and if you happen to see me peeking in your room at exactly 3:03am, just know it's because I'm reliving all of the wonderful memories that exact time brought me just one year ago.

Love you like no one else,
Mom